Music Production and Social Media: Marketing Your Music

While many people consider social media a way to keep in touch with friends and family, independent musicians see it as a way to increase their fan base all over the world. Keep these tips in mind if you’re looking to promote you and your music production on social media.

Bring Fellow Musicians Into the Mix


Image via Flickr by garryknight

Not only is social media a great way to introduce your music to new fans, but it’s also ideal for networking with other musicians and professionals. Don’t be afraid to use your social media page to promote work done by other artists. You won’t lose listeners by doing so, and you never know when someone else will return the favor. Additionally, it’s a great way to learn more about upcoming shows and music production opportunities.

Drive Interest to Your Website

As fun as social media is, the heart of your online presence is your website. Because this is where you sell merchandise and keep fans up-to-date on your shows, your social media accounts should all point directly back to your website. Whether it’s embedding a link in every YouTube video you upload or creating teaser posts on Facebook that link to your site, you need to come up with creative ways to get your fans to your site.

Create a Conversation

Social media isn’t a one-sided conversation. When you’re creating your posts, think about how you would have a regular conversation with a person. For example, instead of simply stating, “We’re playing tonight at the café,” say, “We’re playing tonight at the café. Which songs would you like to hear?” This encourages fans to interact, and the experience becomes more meaningful to them.

Mix Personal and Marketing Content

Fans follow their favorite musicians on social media because they want to learn more personal stories about that individual. Musicians, however, typically use social media as a self-promotion tool. To make sure these two areas intersect, you need to have a mix of personal stories and marketing information. A good rule of thumb to follow is the 80/20 mix, in which about 80 percent of your content is fun, entertaining, and personal, and the other 20 percent is geared toward marketing.

Focus on One Social Media Platform

With so many different types of social media platforms available today, it’s impossible to be highly active on each one. Many musicians begin by thinking they need a large presence on every platform and end up burning out or not having time to actually visit a recording studio.

Don’t let this happen to you. Decide your target market and focus on one or two platforms for strong interaction. For example, if you believe your target market is an older working adult, you’re better off on Facebook. If you think your target is a young teenager, focus on Instagram and Twitter.

When you’ve mastered the art of using social media to market your music, your fans will be waiting for more, and that’s where Carriage House Studios comes in. Contact Carriage House to see how we can help you create the perfect album. __ptq.gif?a=471267&k=14&

Posted on November 29, 2015 in artists

Share the Story

About the Author

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to Top